Topline
A group of Americans in the Democratic Republic of Congo may have been exposed to the deadly Ebola outbreak in the country—including one with symptoms—which has triggered a WHO public health emergency declaration, reports said on Monday, as U.S. authorities work on a safe evacuation plan.
Staff members at CBCA Virunga Hospital prepare rooms intended for possible suspected Ebola cases following official announcements in Goma.
AFP via Getty Images
Key Facts
Citing unnamed sources, Stat News first reported that a “number of Americans” may have been exposed, including some who purportedly had “high-risk exposures.”
At least one American has developed symptoms, but there are no confirmed test results for any of them, the report added.
The Washington Post confirmed the report, noting that the person with symptoms may require a medical evacuation.
The U.S. nationals were working for a nonprofit in the area where the outbreak took place and the group includes a family with children, the Post’s report added.
Authorities are discussing possible evacuation options to a location where any infected individuals can be quarantined and receive treatment.
What Has The Cdc Said About The Ebola Outbreak?
In a statement issued earlier on Sunday, the CDC said it was “supporting interagency partners who are actively coordinating the safe withdrawal of a small number of Americans who are directly affected by this outbreak.” The agency’s statement didn’t mention Americans’ exposure to the virus or any symptomatic individuals. The CDC said that its country offices in the DRC and Uganda have been working with the U.S. government, local health ministries, and international partners to “support response operations, including surveillance, laboratory diagnostics, infection prevention and control, and other outbreak containment efforts.”
