DOJ Urges Appellate Court To Reinstate Criminal Charges Against Abrego Garcia

Date:

Share post:

Topline

The Justice Department on Monday urged a federal appellate court to reinstate criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia—who was mistakenly deported to El Salvador by the Trump administration last year—three months after a federal judge dismissed human smuggling charges brought against him.

Key Facts

In a filing made before the Sixth Circuit appeals court, the DOJ claimed the government had clear “probable cause and multiple legitimate bases to prosecute” Abrego Garcia and argued that the earlier ruling relied on “dubious assumptions” to drop the charges.

In his ruling that dropped the charges in May, Tennessee federal judge Waverly Crenshaw noted that the case reflected an “abuse of prosecuting power” and “vindictive motive” due to Abrego Garcia’s lawsuit challenging his deportation to El Salvador.

The latest filing argued that the DOJ reopened a criminal probe into Abrego Garcia after courts ordered his return to the country that it “previously closed following his removal,” and the human smuggling indictment was brought based on “new evidence.”

The filing also argued that acting U.S. Attorney Robert McGuire brought the case against Abrego Garcia based on a probe triggered by a 2022 traffic stop, and that he “himself had no stake in Abrego’s removal suit.”

The DOJ argued that the human smuggling charges were brought against Abrego Garcia due to legitimate concerns about his return to the country after a court reversed his deportation.

In the filing, the Justice Department urged the appeals court to reverse the Tennessee federal judge’s ruling dismissing criminal charges against Abrego Garcia.

What Had The Tennessee Federal Judge Said In His Ruling?

“The evidence before this Court sadly reflects an abuse of prosecuting power. The Court does not reach its conclusion lightly. The objective evidence here shows that, absent Abrego’s successful lawsuit challenging his removal to El Salvador, the Government would not have brought this prosecution. The Executive Branch closed its investigation on the November 2022 traffic stop. Only after Abrego succeeded in vindicating his rights did the Executive Branch reopen that investigation,” Crenshaw had said in his ruling.

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Dodgers Ticketing Arm Linked To Mark Walter’s $17 Billion Shuffle Amid Probe

LOS ANGELES, CA - DECEMBER 14: Andrew Friedman speaks while Mark Walter and Shohei Ohtani of the Los...

The Unsung Hero In The Global Race For Capital?

TORONTO, CANADA - Cityscape and downtown district on a clear blue sky day, with the shore of Lake...

Blue Jays Get Harsh Vladimir Guerrero Jr Reminder After Injury Setback

TORONTO, ON - AUGUST 01: Vladimir Guerrero Jr. (27) of the Toronto Blue Jays looks on while waiting...

NBA’s Conclusion About Kawhi Leonard Circumvention Could Create A Slippery Slope

INGLEWOOD, CALIFORNIA - DECEMBER 28: Owner Steve Ballmer of the Los Angeles Clippers congratulates Kawhi Leonard #2 after...