Senate Republicans Hold Off Funding Trump’s Ballroom

Date:

Share post:

Topline

The Senate delayed votes planned for Thursday on the $72 billion immigration enforcement bill that was supposed to be a vehicle for $1 billion to help pay for President Donald Trump’s White House ballroom project—as Republicans appear ready to omit the funding from the package.

Key Facts

Senate Republicans will leave Washington for a week-long recess without voting on the bill before the June 1 deadline Trump set to pass the immigration-enforcement package, multiple outlets reported.

The decision comes as Trump faces pushback from within the party over the ballroom funding and the $1.8 billion “anti-weaponization” fund the Justice Department set up as part of a settlement with Trump in his lawsuit against the IRS.

Sen. John Kennedy, R-La., told reporters Wednesday the ballroom funding has been nixed from the bill, “because the votes aren’t there.”

Senate Majority Leader John Thune, R-S.D., also acknowledged there were a “couple snags” Republicans were trying to work out with the immigration enforcement bill, including “issues related to the East Wing modernization project.”

At least five Republican senators—Sens. Bill Cassidy, R-La., Thom Tillis, R-N.C., Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, Susan Collins, R-Maine, and Rand Paul, R-Ky.—have either said they won’t vote for the ballroom funding without more information or have expressed reservations about it.

Portions of the bill were voted out of committee Wednesday and sent to the full chamber for a vote, but the ballroom funding was not included.

Tangent

Senate Parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough ruled Saturday the ballroom funding wasn’t allowed to bypass the 60-vote filibuster threshold, making it near impossible to pass as part of the immigration enforcement bill. The immigration enforcement bill, like other high-priority changes to fiscal legislation, is allowed to pass by a simple majority. Trump called for MacDonough to be fired over her ruling, but Thune rejected his demand.

Key Background

Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee included the funding for the White House ballroom in their portion of the immigration enforcement bill earlier this month. The $1 billion is earmarked for the Secret Service, including security enhancements to the new White House East Wing, where the ballroom is being built. Some Republicans, and Trump, have used the shooting at the White House Correspondents Association dinner to justify the need for a high-security large-event venue. Republicans are voting on the package to fund Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs and Border Protection this week after those two agencies were omitted, at Democrats’ request, from the Department of Homeland Security funding package passed at the end of April to end the government shutdown. Trump told Republicans in Congress he wanted the ICE and CBP funding passed by June 1.

Big Number

$200 million. That’s how much Trump initially said the ballroom would cost, funded entirely by private donations. He has since raised the price tag to $400 million, which doesn’t include the $1 billion in Secret Service funding.

Further Reading

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

World Champion Joscelyn Roberson Announces Transfer To Georgia

FORT WORTH, TEXAS - APRIL 16: Joscelyn Roberson of the Arkansas Razorbacks celebrates her floor routine during the...

Stars Commemorate Stephen Colbert’s Last Show With First Amendment Video

NEW YORK CITY - JULY 17: The Late Show with Stephen Colbert during Thursday's July 17, 2025 show....

Ebola Treatment Center Burns Near Heart Of Deadly Outbreak, Report Says (Live Updates)

ToplineArsonists attacked an Ebola treatment center in Rwampara, one of the towns at the center of an ongoing...

2026 FIFA World Cup Faces Ebola Outbreak And Extreme Heat Threats

A soccer enthusiast uses a hand-held spray bottle with a fan attached to cool off in the hot...