How Will The Phillies Use Nestor Cortes When He Gets To Philly?

Date:

Share post:

“Nasty” Nestor Cortes is a Phillie. But when will his nastiness arrive in Philadelphia?

It could be a couple weeks.

The former All-Star left-hander signed a one-year deal with the Phillies on Friday and get paid $1.5 million if he reaches the big leagues and $250,000 if he stays in the minors.

Cortes’ first stop will be Class A Clearwater, where he’ll continue his rehab. He needed surgery to repair a torn left biceps in October, and it’s been almost a year since his last MLB appearance on Sept. 3, 2025.

Phillies interim manager Don Mattingly said Cortes has thrown several extended bullpen sessions, including a live bullpen on Friday. Here’s a sneak-peek at Cortes at work a few days prior to his Phillies signing:

According to Mattingly, Cortes “says he’s ready to roll.” But will he roll as a starter or a reliever? Cortes has primarily been a starting pitcher, having started 94 games in his career.

Earlier this season, Mattingly hinted to deploying a six-man rotation, but that may not be the wisest move at this juncture with the Phils in a playoff race. Plus, Aaron Nola and Andrew Painter both have pitched well of late, solidifying the rotation.

The Phillies greatest need is a bullpen piece – specifically a lefty – and Mattingly has had few lockdown relievers other than Jhoan Duran all season.

Cortes gives Mattingly a flex option – starter or bulk-inning guy or even a specialist – while adding a fresh arm to an dog-tired ‘pen.

“I’m not sure the plan is trying to get built to be a starter,” Mattingly told the media on Friday. “That’s kind of a long build. That’s throwing, getting to 75 to 90 pitches, four days in between every one of those. So I think it’s getting going, build him up, at least to a bulk grow, go from there.”

Cortes was 2-4 with a 6.29 ERA in eight starts last year with Milwaukee and San Diego, a season cut short by a left flexor tendon strain that kept him on the IL from April 4 to Aug. 6, and left biceps tendinitis ended his season on Sept. 3.

The 31-year-old spent the previous seven seasons with the Yankees, becoming an All-Star in 2022, and has a 35-25 career record with a 3.94 ERA.

But his most memorable moment isn’t a good one: He came out of the bullpen in Game 1 of the 2024 World Series to face the Los Angeles Dodgers’ Freddie Freeman and threw the first walk-off grand slam in World Series history. Phillies and Yankees fans please look away:

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Barcelona Target Julian Alvarez Heavily Booed By Atleti Fans (VIDEO)

FC Barcelona target Julian Alvarez has been heavily booed by Atletico Madrid fans at the Metropolitano, as shown...

Michael Jackson’s Hugely Successful Compilation Reaches A Chart Landmark

As of this frame, Michael Jackson's 'Number Ones' celebrates 250 weeks on the Billboard 200. It is the...

The U.S. Now Uses Nearly 40% Of The World’s Data Center Electricity

STONE RIDGE, VIRGINIA - JULY 17: In an aerial view, an Amazon Web Services data center is shown...

What Chiefs Rookie Mansoor Delane Showed In First Preseason Start

Cornerback Mansoor Delane of the Kansas City Chiefs sits on the team bench during the fourth quarter of...