Mets’ Bo Bichette Offers 4-Word Response On New Lows After Blue Jays Exit

Date:

Share post:

The Toronto Blue Jays earned a win against the Detroit Tigers on Sunday to take their latest series from the American League contender and carry some momentum into a showdown with the New York Yankees.

As the Blue Jays attempt to recover the magic they enjoyed in their World Series trip last year, the team could use a strong showing against the division rival Yankees. But after one of their key offensive pieces from last year joined the New York Mets on a new contract, the Blue Jays will have to be hoping their new infielder, Kazuma Okamoto, can continue to settle in.

“In Japan, major-league players have to bring their own snacks to the ballpark,” Mike Wilner noted for the Toronto Star. “That’s one of the many cultural differences Okamoto has run into since signing a four-year, $60-million (U.S.) contract with the Jays in January, uprooting the life of a superstar back home to help get his new team back to the World Series and — whether anyone will admit it or not — replace Bo Bichette in the lineup.”

ForbesDodgers Weigh Groundbreaking Surgery After Losing $182 Million Star

Former Toronto Blue Jays Shortstop Bo Bichette Notes Lows Since Joining New York Mets

Though Okamoto has emerged as the team’s home runs leader so far this season, he still has not quite performed at the same level as Bichette when he was at his best for the Blue Jays. Okamoto has slashed .233/.319/.448, while Bichette posted a .311/.357/.483 line before his regular season was cut a bit short by injury last year.

Still, Blue Jays fans have to be pretty happy with their new infield slugger’s performance so far when compared to how Bichette has been performing in Queens.

This season, the Blue Jays’ former franchise shortstop is slashing just .210/.262/.269 as Mets losses pile up at an alarming rate. In the midst of the stretch, he acknowledged that he might be seeing the worst slump of his career, shortly after leaving the Blue Jays for the Mets, with a four-word response.

“I don’t know if it’s been the toughest stretch of my career,” Bichette told The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal of his slump at the plate since leaving Toronto. “But it’s up there.”

ForbesYankees’ Aaron Judge Praises Brewers Star Amid Infield Doubts: ‘I Wish We Had Him’

New York Mets’ Bo Bichette Addresses Move From Toronto Blue Jays Role

There could be a number of explanations for Bichette’s struggles, including the pressures of his new contract or the adjustment period to life in a new city. But the infielder acknowledged that a defensive move to third base to start the season, then a shift back to shortstop to fill in for the injured Francisco Lindor shortly after, could have something to do with it.

“Maybe switching back and forth, not anticipating I would be playing there, might have something to do with it,” Bichette said, per Rosenthal. “But no, I’ve hit as a shortstop my whole career.”

The Mets should be hoping that Bichette can return to his previous production from shortstop in the near future. Meanwhile, Blue Jays fans might be hoping their new infield star can improve as well, but they could be grateful he’s off to a better start than their old one.

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

MLB Best Home Run Bets For May 18, 2026—Hicks And Happ

Liam Hicks has an excellent opportunity to snap his homer skid tonight.Getty ImagesThe MLB best home run bets...

Asia Star Entertainer Awards (ASEA) 2026 Winners List: ENHYPEN, ATEEZ

Members of ATEEZ Yunho, Seonghwa, San, Yeosang, Hongjoong, Wooyoung, Jongho and Mingi attend the press conference for the...

Pope Leo Will Unveil New AI Encyclical—With Top Anthropic Exec Playing Role

ToplinePope Leo XIV will present a major Church document on artificial intelligence next week and he will be...