Trump’s Anti-Weaponization Fund Blocked In Court—Again

Date:

Share post:

Topline

A federal judge indefinitely blocked the Trump administration’s $1.8 billion “anti-weaponization” fund from moving forward on Friday, multiple outlets report, as plaintiffs distrust the government’s claims that the fund is dead regardless—but the judge said she’ll lift her ruling if officials can actually swear under oath that they won’t try to revive the controversial plan.

Key Facts

Judge Leonie Brinkema issued an injunction blocking the Trump administration from moving forward with its plans for a $1.776 fund designed to compensate people who feel the Justice Department has been “weaponized” against them, extending an earlier order she issued that only temporarily blocked the fund until there could be a lengthier ruling.

The fund was established as part of President Donald Trump’s settlement in his lawsuit against the IRS, and Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche claimed the fund would not move forward—even if a court allowed it—after even Republican lawmakers strongly opposed the fund.

Plaintiffs suing the government over the fund have expressed concerns that the Justice Department will revive the fund if it’s no longer blocked in court, pointing to the fact that while Blanche has told lawmakers the fund is dead, he so far hasn’t put that in writing or rescinded the guidance that first established it.

Brinkema directed Blanche and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent to submit a declaration by next week under penalty of perjury that states the fund is actually dead, multiple outlets report, and will likely lift the court ruling blocking the fund if they do.

The judge rejected the government’s verbal assurances that the fund wasn’t moving forward, Bloomberg reports, and said if officials don’t sign a sworn statement that the fund is dead, she’ll keep moving forward with the litigation and determine whether the fund should be declared unlawful.

What to Watch for

The case at issue Friday is one of several lawsuits challenging the $1.8 billion fund, which means a judge in a different case could block the fund even if Brinkema lifts her ruling next week. The president and his administration are also due to respond in court Friday to a request by former federal judges to reopen Trump’s initial lawsuit against the IRS. The judges argue the case should be reopened in light of concerns over the controversial settlement, and could result in Trump and the IRS potentially facing sanctions.

This story is breaking and will be updated.

Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related articles

Disney Reveals Middle East Research For Abu Dhabi Theme Park

Disney's Imagineers have been researching local landmarks in the preparation stage of Disneyland Abu Dhabi.DisneyDisney has revealed that...

3 ‘Vital Stories’ Films Had World Premieres At Tribeca Festival

Following the screening of the three short films, (L-R) Abby Pierce, Tiffany Cruz, Alan Scott Neal, Angela Wong...

Danielle Brooks And Walter Thompson-Hernández Find Grace, Healing And Hope In ‘If I Go Will They Miss Me’

Danielle Brooks and Bodhi DellIf I Go Will They Miss MeFor Danielle Brooks, the opportunity to star in...

AI Watermarks Are Becoming The Internet’s New Scarlet Letter

Anthropic, the maker of the chatbot Claude, kicked off a firestorm by announcing it would start watermarking text...